|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Chocolate Chip Dough Cookie Lollipops|
|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Chocolate Chip Cookie Lollipop|
Will the spindly neck of the cookie lollipop stick hold the enormous “sunflower-sized” chocolate chip cookie?
3 Drivers of Cookie Lollipop Bake Sale Success
1. Cookie integrity-the crispness of the cookie dough ingredients will determine how transparent, lacy or opaque the “face” of the cookie lollipop.
If the ingredient lists has more shortening in it, the cookie is likely to spread and display more lacey holes. As a result the lollipop stick will be less stable because it will have less to hold onto. If the list of ingredients has more dry ingredients than fat or moisture, the cookie lollipop may have excellent integrity but be more decorative than edible.
|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Cookie Lollipops Bake Sale Packaging|
2. Cookie Lollipop Storage-Do you need to keep your bake sale item chilled below 40 degrees Fahrenheit?
Must it stay out of the sun to avoiding icing or chocolate meltdown? Follow food safety rules when deciding on cellophane bags and upright or horizontal merchandising displays. Keep attractiveness in mind but food safety is first such as protecting food items from insects, storing bake sale items 3′ off ground level, and individual wrapping of each baked good for hygiene.
3.Cookie Lollipop Packaging-Does your cookie booth capture the interest of food trend followers? If you use organic ingredients, do you label each sale item?
Do you use gluten-free flour? Are you offering a vegan alternative? How do you stand apart from the crowd? Don’t be shy! This is healthy competition to raise the most for charity. Use a bit of showmanship borrowed from cookie packaging best practices.
|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Blue Ribbon Chocolate Chip Cookie Lollipops|
That’s why I am practicing 5 days in advance for the bake sale.
|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Trio Chocolate Chip Cookie Lollipops|
- Cooling times vary. Should cookies be cooled for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours before storing and packaging? Can such cooled, freshly-baked cookies be frozen? How much lead time will the bake sale volunteer need between baking to “showtime” at the sales booth?
- Cookie lollipop storage and display test runs take time. What happens on a dry, cool day of baking can be very different from a hot, humid day at the display booth. Will your protective plastic storage cause the cookies to sweat and lose their integrity. Integrity, here, refers to how well the cookie pop stays together? Losing crispness can cause the cookie lollipop to break apart.
- Focus group assessment. How do the cookie lollipops taste? Does the packaging appeal the the demographic? How does it measure up to the competition on “game day”? Get discriminating volunteers who are not afraid to tell you where your baked goods can use improvement. If you have more than 5 days, you can even use data collection software such as Survey Monkey. Visit again for best practices regarding survey creation and selecting focus groups.
I admire scout troup leader moms and full-time stay-at-home moms. I’m not one of them so I am uncertain when a cookie lollipop tutorial might be missing a step such as reinforcing cookie pops with floral wire for display or adding some type of edible cookie cement to the structure.
When I was a Brownie Girl Scout I was in awe of the moms of other girls who were adept at making candy melt pops in the shapes of pigs and other farm animals. I’m grateful that my mom, though she didn’t have time to volunteer as a den mom, she enrolled me in the scouts to learn some domestic and wilderness survival skills.
|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Box of Cookie Lollipops|
As you might recall from my post about European Desserts, my mom grew up without an oven so baked goods were foreign to her. So I do not fault her for considering dipped pretzels, 3D teddy bear cake molds and cookie lollipops a mystery.
|Photo Credit: Renee Marchol Chocolate Chip Cookie Lollipops Duo|
I’ve noticed that the majority of cookie lollipops on food blogs and Pinterest use a sugar cookie dough recipe as opposed to a chocolate chip base. Is it because chocolate chip cookie recipes have too little flour and too much semi-solid fat to hold together as a cookie lollipop? Despite this challenge, I have my heart set on chocolate chip studded cookie lollipops to fit my bake sale booth’s theme: “cookies for boys”.
You’ll understand why I’m doing this cookie lollipop experiment with these requirements when you skip over to “Bake Sale Tips and Tricks” and read the process of elimination for marketing and packaging of baked goods.
Qualitative and quantitative surveys and statistical analysis were my favorite parts of consumer behavior marketing class in business school.