Overheard at Ascona’s Pizza & Bar in Danville:
Fella 1: Get a babysitter!
Fella 2: I won’t need one. My parents are looking forward to spending time with the grandkids when we all go to Disneyland together. I can go out at night because the kids will stay with them.
|Photo Credit: Facebook Amanda Ruhlman Lonas with Son Damon and Family Dog Shiva|
|Photo Credit: Facebook Amanda Ruhlman Lonas, Hubby Justin Lonas, Son Damon and Cat Miyu|
After SmartyGirlEntertainment interviewed a Gamer Mom before Father’s Day, a staycation with the family around a console sounds mighty appealing. Amanda Ruhlman Lonas and her husband are parents to sweetie SmartyFella Damon. Our editors were curious, why gamer moms seem so calm and confident as new parents. From Forbes, we already know that women play console games too. We received these 5 Secrets from Gamer Mom Amanda:
- Gaming prepares you for parenthood because games increase patience and problem-solving. So when I became Damon’s mom, when my baby cried I’d approach the puzzle like I would solve a problem in a game. For example, if his diaper isn’t wet is Damon hungry? I keep trying until the puzzle is solved.
|Photo Credit: Amanda Ruhlman Lonas’s Boppy pillow for Damon|
2. Gaming can discipline a new parent to take time out for herself to recharge as an individual.
Though Damon may be nursing while sitting on his favorite Boppy pillow, he’s with me while I have my downtime. I cradle him while he naps and nurses while I game.
|Photo Credit: SmartyGirl Gamer Mom Amanda Ruhlman Lonas with Hidden Nursing Baby Damon|
|Photo Credit: Facebook Amanda Ruhlman Lonas and Baby Damon|
3. Gaming can encourage your baby to talk and interact more. Family conversations don’t have to take place only at the dinner table. Cooing, pointing and laughing is baby’s way of talking with mom and dad.
|Photo Credit: Kotaku.com Battle Block Theater Trailer|
Damon likes to lean against Daddy and listen to the exciting sounds of Call of Duty or comment, using baby noises, of wonder when he’s with me and I play Behemoth’s Battle Block Theater (made by the same company that made Castle Crashers).
|Photo Credit: SmartyGirl Gamer Mom Amanda Ruhlman Lonas’s Husband, Baby Damon and Family Dog Shiva|
4. Gaming provides a shared experience for interactive family time.
When our family plays a console video game we aren’t separated into different living spaces in front of our individual monitor. Instead we all sit together on a big comfy couch or we lean against each other.
5. Gaming can preserves your sense of fun to help you keep your sense of humor as a playful parent.