What wild animal roar of victory is pent up inside every SmartyGirl and SmartyFella? It’s the victory yell that really does happen after saving money on labor costs of installing a new car battery. No, really! I felt as if I were McCringleberry ready to be penalized for excessive celebration!
SGL Media exists to entertain and inform readers so that they can prove everyday that learning and doing is powerful! It seems that Be Car Care Aware is on board with a similar idea. To SGL’s Editor-in-Chief learning how to make things and fix things counts as entertainment/recreation. She is also a fan of Edmunds and Motormouths to learn more about car care and reviews.
Are you looking at an appliance online manual and feeling overwhelmed? Do you have an Arduino aquaculture kit on your holiday wish list but have nightmares about model kits frustrating you to tears 20 Rudolph the Reindeer re-runs ago?
Instead of starting with a Maker Magazine tutorial on sugar rockets, brave something that is practical first. Whimsy is always cool but you might need baby steps to get there.
Does working with electricity freak you out? Take the precautions in these video tutorials and you won’t suffer like the Coyote in Bugs Bunny cartoons.
cold crank amps
10 mm nut
car shop rags
My hands are quite small and I have great dexterity. Even so, it took me 28 minutes to remove my old car battery and replace it with a fresh one. I mention hand-size because it is mystery to me how male or female mechanics with larger hands work on my car because the spaces between the car’s guts are so tiny.
Here are the steps I used:
1. Browse online for the car battery specs that I will need. Find retailers that have the battery you need in stock.
2. Watch a video tutorial by two different experts (i.e. Nutzaboutboltz) so that you can cross-check in case of conflicting advice. Remember, sequence matters! Wear all safety equipment recommended.
3. Called the retail store to make sure they were open and had what I needed. If arriving by public transportation, you’ll want a liner to hold the new battery upright when transporting to your car with the dead battery. I used a backpack to carry it since my broken toe is still mending. This way your hands are free to salute fellow bicyclists.
4. Reference your smartphone as often as needed to follow the video tutorial while removing the old battery and installing the new one. This might mean putting on your gloves and removing them several times so the touchscreen of your phone will play and pause. Remember the battery acid is corrosive and the grease is messy. Make sure you wipe down your phone afterwards and wear clothes that can be used as rags afterwards.
5. Get in your car. Test your new battery. Give a victory yell! Carefully place the old battery upright in a plastic bag and return to the retail shop immediately for disposal. Do not allow the old battery to leak into ground water, attract curious animals or contaminate regular trash pick-up. Keep your receipt from the retail shop so that you can show proof of 2-year-warranty for the new battery when needed.
How did it feel to accomplish this? Iron Man played in my head. Funny, it plays in my head often when I learn soldering or car-repair related lessons!