What is hardcore elegant badass?
5 SmartyGirls come to mind: MrsHappyHomemaker Crystal Faulkner, Krop iphone app Gamer Mom Amanda Lonas, Bike Pretty Melissa Davies, TV producer blogger Katy Widrick and Gardener Chef Captain Erin Hammack.
When my mom died, the guests at her memorial were so numerous that many had to stand outside of the chapel because the pews and standing room inside the sanctuary was full.
What were the 3 most repeated testimonies about her?
She was a loyal friend. She was a lady. She was witty.
She will forever be my archetypal SmartyGirl and elegant badass role model.
In her honor, I ride. Unlike mom, I am just okay on a bicycle. She was a pro.
|Photo Credit: SGL Bike Pretty to Work Teal Tornado’s first flat tire|
My 45-day Bike to Work Challenge this fall helps me feel closer to my mom to see home and community through the eyes of a bicyclist. How did she bicycle? Bike Pretty.
What have I witnessed so far from the perch of a bicycle seat?
- Everyday heroes in the two-wheeler community
- This week two SmartyFellas spontaneously helped un-trap my bike that was caught by the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) doors during my Norcal commute to work
- Last week a Samtrans passenger, with a stroke, volunteered to help me hold my bike on a nearly too-full-for-a-bicyclist bus.
- Two weeks ago a family of 3 helped me reattach the skipped bike chain on my Teal Tornado
- Cross-pollination of best practices from different demographics
- In the bike car of the Caltrain, Strollerderby parents and single cyclists swap tips on Craigslist finds for bike and stroller replacement parts
- Neighbors grow warmer as the season grows colder
- SmartyGirls play musical chairs on public transportation to make room for “Teal Tornado” and me on chilly evenings on the way home from my Bike to Work commute